Below is a list of conventions, festivals and other events I’ll be attending. Come say hi – even better, come say hi and buy me a drink!
Elfia fantasy fair, Netherlands – 13-14 April
Cymera SFF convention, Edinburgh – 8 June – 10am: Anna Stephens and Cameron Johnston interviewed by Pete Sutton
Edge-Lit, Derby – 13 July
- 11am – Has The Magic Gone? As Fantasy Gets Darker, What Role Does
Magic Have To Play?
- 1pm – Developing ‘real’ characters (Workshop)
- 3pm – Beyond the Darkness: Where Does Fantasy Fiction Go After Grimdark? (Panel) I am moderating this one!!!!
- 4pm – Reading alongside Jan Edwards
SRFC, London – 13 August – venue TBC (very likely to be Star of Kings, Kings X)
Worldcon, Dublin – 15-18 August – exact dates/panels etc TBC
Bloodchild launch event, Waterstones Birmingham – 5 September
- In conversation with Stephen Aryan and G X Todd
Bristolcon, Bristol – 25-27 October
If you haven’t have enough of me on social media yet, you can always come and see/hear me live at one of the many following events! I’m usually to be found in the bar beforehand and always afterwards…
- Super Relaxed Fantasy Club – 27 March – venue TBC (London)
- Panel event with Bradley Beaulieu and Stephen Aryan, 5 April – Waterstones Birmingham
- Guest speaker for Birmingham SF Group, 13 July 8pm, The Briar Rose pub, Birmingham city centre
I’ll be discussing my road to publication, the writing process, Godblind and its sequels, and anything else anyone wants to know. Do come along!
- Edge-Lit 7, Derby – 14 July:
12pm, participation space, ground floor – Workshop – From Battles to Brawls: the art of writin’ fightin’
1pm, Sir John Hurt cinema, 2nd floor – Panel – New worlds: is fantasy slowly becoming a broader genre?
6pm, Sir John Hurt cinema, 2nd floor – The Edge-Lit raffle/auction – hosted by Anna Stephens and RJ Barker!
- Unsung Live! Star of Kings pub, London – 24 July:
I’ll be reading Flesh and Coin, the short story featuring in the Art of War charity anthology, which you can buy here.
- Nine Worlds, Friday 10 August:
Panel – Know your Enemy, hosted by the excellent, and excellently-mohawked, Mike Brooks, on writing villains. 1.30pm
Panel – Racing in Fiction – this one is a bit of a tricky one, and I’ll mostly be winging it and having fun. 3.15pm
- Darksoul launch event, Waterstones Birmingham, Thursday 23 August:
Birmingham Waterstones, 6.30-8pm-ish, followed by drinks in Bacchus Bar, below the Burlington Hotel. There will be a short reading from Darksoul and an interview, then Q&A, so any burning questions, come along and ask them! Tickets are free, book through Waterstones Birmingham’s events page online.
- SFF-Horror panel, Waterstones Swansea, Thursday 30 August:
Join me, RJ Barker, Sci-fi’s Gareth Powell (Embers of War) and Horror’s Catriona Ward (Rawblood) for a cross-genre panel extravaganza! Tickets cost £3.00 available from Waterstones Swansea’s events page.
- Fantasy panel, Forbidden Planet Birmingham, Wesdnesday 5 September:
I’ll be speaking alongside the epic Stephen Aryan (Mageborn trilogy) and GX Todd (Hear the Voices trilogy) on all things fantastic, dsytopic and magical. Starts at 5pm, so great for the straight out of work crowd.
- Fantasy panel, Waterstones Edinburgh, Wednesday 19 September:
Me and new debut author Cameron Johnston (The Traitor God) will be chatting away on publishing, fantasy, approaches to writing and anything else you’d like to know at 6.30pm in Edinburgh. Sign up through the shop’s events page.
- Fantasy panel, Waterstones Glasgow Argyle Street, Thursday 20 September:
Me and Cameron Johnston, as above, will be joined by Anna Smith Spark (The Court of Broken Knives) for even more fantasy chat – books, swords, research, influences and more.
- Other Worlds one-day writing convention, Nottingham – 6 October
1:15pm – Other Worlds: Creating Convincing Settings For Your Stories
5:10pm – Pushing the Boundaries: Where Does Genre Fiction End?
Tickets are £25 for the day, and there’s a vast array of talent talking about a vast array of writing/publishing/editing and everything else you might want to know.
- Fantasycon, Chester – 19-21 October
FRIDAY – 5pm, Disraeli room, Reading from Darksoul
SATURDAY – 10am, The Albert room, Feminism and Feminist Themes in Genre Fiction
SATURDAY – 7pm, The Edward room, Writing Warfare
SATURDAY – 8pm, The Edward room, Brave New Words podcast – live!
SUNDAY – 1.30pm, The Albert room, The Fantasycon box of Plot Ideas
- Bristolcon – 27 October
3pm, Programme room 1, How to Become a Published Author
6.50pm, Programme room 2, Reading from Darksoul
7pm, Programme room 2, The Future of War
Eastercon – Birmingham Hilton Metropole, 15 and 16 April 2017. Event review here:
Godblind book launch event- Thursday 15 June, 6.30pm-8pm. Launch day party review here.
Edge-Lit – Derby, 15 July 2017. How did it go? Find out here.
New voices in Fantasy, Waterstones Piccadilly, 20 July.
Fantasy in the Court – London, 3 August
Nine Worlds – London, 4-6 August. Event review for this, the Facebook Live, New Voices panel and Fantasy in the Court here.
Grim Gathering, Waterstones Bath, 25 September. See how it went here
Gothenburg Book Fair – 28-29 September. How did it go?
Escape to Fantasycon: Peterborough – 30 Sept-1 Oct.
Writing Fantasy Fiction, Waterstones Bristol, 27 October. Fantasycon and Bristolcon round up here